Friday, January 7, 2011

Transparent 3D...

My next task was to take on a 3D piece including both my initial stained glass inspiration and my recent observations of 'men at work'.
I decided to use this image as a starting point:


I wanted to make the piece entirely transparent so I made it from acetate. First things first, I had to make a simple box so I mapped out the plan on paper first and constructed it to make sure it was right.



Next I constructed it from acetate, cutting a hole for a second smaller box to be inserted.


The second box is like the 'manhole' that the workers are inside. I added flaps to it to act as the manhole covers.
Next I constructed the traffic cones and railings:



Then to make the men..... I only had a 2D view of them so I had to use a little artistic licence? I drew out the normal view and then came up with a side view, cut slices into them and slotted them together.



To add a little bit of interest to the piece I got a telephone cable and removed the plastic outer cover. I inserted into the space between the 2 boxes and had the ends coming into the inner box. This worked well as the men were working for eircom. It also added a bit of colour without it being too overpowering.


And then I put together the final piece......


No comments:

Post a Comment