Monday, March 21, 2011

Ceramics...

Ceramics was the first 2 week module I started just after we came back after Christmas.
We learned a number of processes within this block, from throwing on the wheel to constructing vessels using both coil and pinch pot methods.
I've just posted a few photographs of the processes and of the pieces I made:

Formation of my first coil pot
When I got the height I wanted then I decided to change the shape of the pot so I indented the base and worked on waving the mouth of the pot. A point that was hammered home to us was that you must always focus on form before surface.

Here is the pot once I had decided on the form. At this point I focused on smoothing the surface by scraping with toothed tools and then smoothing over the give a more consistent surface.


Second coil pot formed

Wire piece to complement the vessel
Vessels were fired in a kiln to harden the clay and then they were dipped into a resist slip followed by a sacrificial glaze. The resist prevents the glaze attaching to the clay and gives the distinctive raku smoked effect.
Pots going in for the raku firing.
When the pots come out of the raku kilm they are immediately put into a bath of sawdust and the lid is put on. The smoke generated gives the exposed clay it's distinctive colour.
Pots in the sawdust bath once the smoke and fire has subsided.

the areas that had been glazed came out a dark grey metallic colour which was then picked off the reveal the smoked effect underneath. In the second photo you can see the marks made from scraping through the glaze and slip using a knife.

Finished pieces
My bowl I threw on the wheel, really enjoyed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment